Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Domo and Inkblot Cookies: Part 1

So this weekend I attempted to make Domo and Inkblot cookies…and I’m sure you can tell by my use of the word attempt…that it didn’t turn out so well.  I looked online for a good gingerbread recipe and most of the ones I saw used shortening.  There is something about that tub of whiteness that is rather distasteful to me…I mean I don’t mind using butter but I was wanted to avoid shortening.  The difference might only be in my head, but sometimes that is all I need.  So I decided to use a tried and true recipe that I used here
So…I got started making my mess (my kitchen always looks like a tornado passed thru whenever I bake). 

 Soon I had all my dough mixed, and transferred into my pretty snowflake Pyrex to chill. 

 After a couple of hours in the fridge, I took the dough out and was ready to roll it; and that is where I had problems.  The dough kept sticking to the rolling pin…not cool.  I thought maybe the dough needed to be colder so I put it in the freezer for an hour and tried again….same problem.  

 
 After a several attempts, I finally gave up and decided the spoon dough into the cutter shape…making a nice layer and the remove the cutter.  That sort of worked…I lost a little shape when I removed the cutter but shaped it up using my hands.  Tada! A domo cookie!  Until it was baked…this is what it looked like when I removed it from the oven.  Looks more like a Sumo than a Domo…now I wish I had tried to ice it like a sumo wrestler. 


 Well looks like I will be baking again so check back… I’m determined!  Since I made a double batch of dough thinking I would have all these funky shaped cookies I needed some help getting rid of them.  So I went ahead and made drop ginger cookies and took them to work.  Monday morning when I was riding up in the elevator, someone asked if I made the cookies myself.  I said Yes and she responded…”Good for you!”  Very odd exchange, but it made me chuckle.  Turns out the failed cookies were a hit!  

Ciao 
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...