Saturday, March 19, 2011

Me....Baking?!?

Ok so since I’m out to learn a little bit about the basics mid century style. I figured why not start tonight, since my honey has some friend over to watch the UFC fight. (I have this bad habit of calling it a game…”No, dear it’s a fight.” “Fight…game…What’s the diff?”) So I have decided to make some treats for the guy while they watch the game…er..fight.

I’m going to be doubly wifey-like (it is totally a word) and make something he has requested. Ooohhhh! Of course he has to request weird stuff. So tonight I’m making Gingersnap Sandwiches with Blue Cheese Filling. Is anyone going…WHAT…about the blue cheese filling or it just me?

VERDICT: Pretty good with the blue cheese, but I prefer without.  The basic Gingersnap is delish! I did make a few adjustments.  I used apple cider vinegar since I was out of white and left out the cardamom (couldn't find it!)  After some thought, I think switching the blue cheese out for a different cheese would make this out of this world.  I'm thinking a goat cheese. Hmm now that sounds good.



Here is the recipe if anyone is intrigued.

Gingersnaps

Ingredients:

150 grams of butter
400 grams granulated sugar
2 eggs
160 milliliters molasses
20 milliliters vinegar
525 grams white bread flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 cups quality blue cheese
1 cup sour cream

Procedure:
In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl frequently. Add the eggs, one at a time. Add the molasses and the vinegar slowly to avoid separating the mixture. Sift together the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture and mix just to combine. Force the dough into a flat rectangle. Wrap and chill the dough until firm. Divide the dough into 50 small, equal portions. Roll the dough into balls. Dredge the balls in sugar. Place the cookies on a parchment lined sheet pan. Bake the cookies at 350 degrees F for 7-10 minutes. They will spread, the sugar crust will begin to firm up in the middle.

For the blue cheese filling, blend blue cheese and sour cream until smooth and creamy. Spread the filling between two cookies, sandwich-style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...